3/16/15

Re: The Boneheads at Groove City Guitars in St Paul Minnesota

In September of 2014 quite out of the blue, I received a Facebook “friends request” from a new Minnesota music store.  As a traveling musician at the time faced occasionally with long weekend afternoons to while away in The Twin Cities, I accepted the request and put their location on my mental list of places to stop next time I had a time to drive around fondling guitars and amps “down south.”
 



As a new business clearly trying hard to use social media to their advantage, I immediately noticed a steady stream of “for sale” items start to appear in my newsfeed, and that was cool with me.  I also noticed that they were presenting their business as somewhat of a “hippie guitar boutique” with high quality gear, funky rugs, and groovy furnishings.  On a morning in late September I was shocked and annoyed to see this advertisement posted by Groove city.  Disgusted by the idea of a cool music store “selling out” and turning their business into a ridiculous media circus powered by awful commercial radio, I said aloud at my desk, “Eeeewww!  Ska-REW that!”  I thought about leaving a negative comment but chose not to.  Less than 5 minutes later, another person “somewhere out there” took the words right out of my mouth by posting “KQ?  Epic Fail.  I will NEVER visit your store.”  A few minutes later, another outraged person did the same, and a predictable backlash by “pro awful commercialization” people ensued.  I could no longer resist, and I posted a comment something to the effect of “Way to go.  I would expect this sort of thing from Guitar Center (the Menard’s of Music).
 
Groove City responded by posting the following:


“We have never seen Eric or Tom in the shop, and none of the guys recognize them. Oh well, somehow they friended us, and everyone has a right to their own opinion! I'm sure if they ever come to see us they will feel embarrassed by those negative remarks about advertising with KQ. It's always best to have all the information, and see a business first hand before making generalized statements, positive, or negative.
  

I responded with:
“YOU sent ME a friends request like TWO weeks ago, and I live 200 miles away.  That is how long I've been aware of your shop, and you WERE on my list of stops on my upcoming Cities trip.  My annoyance stems from the fact that up until today, the image you presented of yourself here was ~very~ much NOT one of a music store that would choose to permanently stigmatize itself with such a sellout circus side show association with soulless big business radio.  Good luck.”



They deleted my response, so I posted it again…and then a third time.  Then, I was promptly “unfriended” by Groove City Guitars.  Seriously?  Looking back through their photos well composing this post, I’ve noticed that ALL the comments associated with that advertisement have been deleted.  Weird, huh?
I took two things away from this bizarre interaction.  The first one is that ANY business that would behave in such a manner isn’t worthy of my patronage.  Yes, I’m curious as heck about their collection of quality and vintage instruments, but they “8th grade girl-ed” incorrectly in a public forum and alienated me forever.
The second is that giant broadcasting companies are both destroying American radio AND dumbing down the county.  No single organization should be allowed to own and manage 460 stations the way the Cumulus Media does, and the sooner those large corporations are broken up, the better.  As far as I’m concerned, the list of advertisers on those stations serves as a personal “black list” of business to avoid.
Sorry, Groove City Guitars.  No sale... 

8 comments:

  1. trust me, I wanted to hate them. I went in once and was given a pretty crapy value on a guitar I was thinking about trading. Later I found an amazing deal from them, it was a really cool mohagany body/neck guitar with P-90's. They had mistakenly priced it at $75.00 and I snapped it up. I called to confirm and talked to the owner, even though it was a mistake and only a $75.00 deal. The owner was very cool, honored price and gave me great service. Even through in some strings, and a strap. (it was a guitar I purchased to give to a friend learning to play). I just bought a kemper profiling unit for about $300-$400 under market. So even though my initial impression was to not like them, I've had nothing but a good experience (don't trade gear with them, sell on reverb) buying from them. I'm not a fan or a homer, just a working musician. They are a business and do need to market themselves, they take risks and try stuff. I would just say, don't let one weird add, throw you off. I mean what else is there, we all hate guitar center...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A business trying to be successful by getting on the radio...Oh the humanity. Big deal. I'd expect that kind of silly hipster attitude from a 19 year old college freshman, not a middle aged- man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re wrong on every level. KQ ~SUCKS A$$~ and so do ALL the businesses that chose to advertise on it. The End.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. A business trying to be successful by getting on the radio...Oh the humanity. Big deal. I'd expect that kind of silly hipster attitude from a 19 year old college freshman, not a middle aged- man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CB, your idiotic comment on a ONE YEAR OLD blog post was so significant that you felt the need to post it twice? LOL! Good work, ya f#ckin' jackass. Welcome to the internet - using it will get easier. Just give it some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well here you are getting annoyed at my comments on a ONE YEAR OLD blog post, so mission accomplished. P.S. you're ugly.

      Delete
    2. This is all very unusual, "CB." ...and most unexpected.

      Delete